Sunoco Pipeline L.P. has a goal of zero spills to the environment. However, because we recognize that emergency situations can occur, we view emergency preparedness as a critically important function, and appreciate the assistance of public officials that may be involved in responding to a release from a pipeline.
During a pipeline release, there are several tasks which may involve the assistance of public officials and responders. Things to consider include,
- Notification to Sunoco Pipeline L.P. – click here to see our pipeline emergency contact phone number
- Public Safety (remove people from the danger area)
- Responder Safety (approach the emergency from upwind)
- Traffic Control
- Site Security (barricade the danger area)
- Containment of spill, if possible
- Vapor Suppression
- Stop all sources of ignition (do not restart engines)
- Fire Fighting
- Provision of medical help if needed
For additional information on response activities, see the Public Officials section under the Public Awareness Contacts page.